Eye-catching and functional, thong underwear is now the mainstay of most women's lingerie drawers. Thongs have become the lingerie of choice for women of all ages because there's nothing better than a no-show thong under tight-fitting pants, dresses and skirts.
A thong sets on the hips like a bikini panty, but instead of having a full back panel, it has a thinner strip of fabric leaving the behind exposed. Widely considered a more daring and uncomfortable women’s underwear style, new thong panty designs have become quite comfortable and popular with women of all shapes and sizes.
Why wear thongs
Though thongs offer very little support or coverage, their minimalist design offers many advantages over traditional panties. Some of these include:
- No panty lines
- An extremely sexy look
- A great tease under sheer sleepwear
- Pair well with a matching bra to make a sexy lingerie set
- Available in low-rise options to wear under low-rise pants and jeans
- Very comfortable when sized and worn correctly
How to wear a thong
Thongs were initially thought to be uncomfortable by the masses because when a woman went to put it on, she pulled it up as if she were putting on a brief. Thongs were designed to rest on the hips. So, naturally, women sensed the discomfort of the thong being too high in the crotch. However, most thong manufacturers have jumped on the band wagon and lengthened the rise of thongs. Eventually, most women came back, tried on a thong again, and found them more comfortable. Today, with low-rise pants on the market, thongs come in both high-rise and low-rise styles.
Thong styles and buying tips
- G-Strings are not considered a piece of underwear to be worn all day.
- Rios and tangas can be worn all day.
- To eliminate panty lines, select a thong without lace or trims.
- If you want a thong for everyday wear, find one that is soft, has some stretch and will not bind.
- If you’re a first-time thong wearer, the best starter thong will be one with a high rise and a wide waistband.
- Women with generous hips will look the best in a rio style because it creates a curvy line around the hips.
The type of fabric is mostly a personal preference, but, as usual, there are some things to take into consideration:
- Cotton is always a great choice because it breathes, absorbs and is soft. However, 100% cotton will eventually stretch and lose its shape.
- Stretch is always good. The more your thong stretches, the more comfortable you will feel.
- Any embellishments on a thong will be visible if worn under tight-fitting clothing. If you select lace, make sure it is flat and stretches.
- Silk has the same properties as cotton but is thinner and feels sexier.
- For total elimination of panty lines, select a thong with die-cut edges.
- Modal fabrics are extremely soft, but the thong should still have a cotton crotch lining.
- Wicking fabrics are a good choice because they pull moisture away from your body.
Don't forget colors!
If you want a totally invisible look, a nude thong is your best choice. A black thong is always the sexiest - with or without lace detailing. A white thong is traditionally worn by brides. Wearing a white thong under white pants will absolutely show. Around Valentines Day, a red thong is the choice. Otherwise, wearing a red thong is a great way to send a very sexy message.